Thursday, July 29, 2010

Open and Shut Case






Open and Shut Case

Matt 16:18-19 NIV
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven , and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

Matt 18:18 NIV
18 "I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven , and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Isa 22:20-23 NIV
20 "In that day I will summon my servant, Eliakim son of Hilkiah. 21 I will clothe him with your robe and fasten your sash around him and hand your authority over to him. He will be a father to those who live in Jerusalem and to the house of Judah. 22I will place on his shoulder the key to the house of David; what he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.

Rev 3:7 NIV
7 "To the angel of the church in Philadelphia write:
These are the words of him who is holy and true, who holds the key of David. What he opens no one can shut, and what he shuts no one can open.

=======o==============o==============o=======

I think the above can apply to many things but,
in this case, I'm thinking of the canonization of saints
by the Catholic Church.

Protestants believe that all "born again" believers are saints -
both the living and the dead.

Catholics, on the other hand,
acknowledge themselves to be sinners which is why...

=======o=======

Luke 5:31-32 NIV
31 Jesus answered them, "It is not the healthy who need a doctor , but the sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

Luke 15:7 NIV
7 I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

=======o=======

Catholics ascribe sainthood to persons
who led exemplary and sacrificial lives.

The Catholic Church meticulously investigates
such persons and, when it makes a decision,
it is binding.

Truth Seeker

=======o==============o==============o=======

http://www.catholic.org/saints/faq.php#num

Canonization does not "make" a person a saint; it recognizes what God has already done.

Though canonization is infallible and irrevocable, it takes a long time and a lot of effort. So while every person who is canonized is a saint, not every holy person has been canonized. You have probably known many "saints" in your life, and you are called by God to be one yourself.